Tuesday, August 16, 2011

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, I hope some day you'll join us, And the world will be as one. JOHN LENNON


It always surprises me when different ideas or things that I've been focused on start popping up in the world around me. It seems that certain concepts or elements enter the very air we breathe and become part of the cultural zeitgeist. A few months ago, while my apartment was getting renovated, the dream catcher that had been hanging over my bed got broken. It is simple and elegant, not like the dreamcatchers I remember making in 4th grade with garish polyester yarn, or the ones you see in every touristy store out West.


I was a bit perturbed that it got damaged and was looking forward to getting a new one on my trip to Montana where I originally got that one... new bedroom wall, new dream catcher.

Just in case we're not all on the same page, dream catchers originated in the Ojibwa Nation and over time spread to other Native American tribes. While some consider the dream catcher a symbol of unity among the various Native American Nations, and a general symbol of identification with Native American cultures, others believe that they are over-commercialized and kitchy.

The Ojibwa believe that a dreamcatcher changes a person's dreams. "Only good dreams would be allowed to filter through… Bad dreams would stay in the net, disappearing with the light of day. Good dreams would pass through and slide down the feathers to the sleeper." As someone who dreads bad dreams, I love this possibility. And apparently a lot of other people are trying this method to stave off the nightmares of our times.

Aside from the run-of-the-mill stuff that is all over the place, I've been seeing some really beautiful reinterpretations of the symbol. I really love this necklace by itsyourKISMET on Etsy:

and this one by Sheila B. Jewelry.

AND not once, but TWICE today in passing by two of my very favorite stores - Rag and Bone and Love, Adorned... guess what grabbed my attention - - - - - -- remarkably beautiful GIANT ONES!

And it all just seems so serendipitous because we just finished photographing some of the very newest pieces (like these green amethyst, diamond and gold earrings) using you-know-whats as a staging element. It's a small world, and it seems that we are all passing through each others
dream(catcher)s.



Peace, love, and rocks,

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment