Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Kawaii = Cute

I picked up an assortment of sweet candy colored sliced sapphires from one of my stone dealers today. The hues made me think of Japanese super cute toys and illustrations. As a cultural phenomenon, cuteness is increasingly accepted in Japan as a part of Japanese culture and national identity. The word for cute in Japanese is kawaii. As in, “aren’t these stones kawaii?” Really, aren’t they? I just want to roll around in their cuteness!

sapphires

So then walking to the company that does my jewelry casting I decided that since I had kawaii on my mind to take a little detour to Books Kinokuniya. Three floors of all things Japanese, mostly books (great art and manga sections), but also including my objects of obsession – washi tape, origami paper and super cute little toys.

IMG_0330IMG_0331

IMG_0333

IMG_0334IMG_0335

IMG_0336IMG_0337

IMG_0338

Here’s what I couldn’t resist:

IMG_0341IMG_0342

IMG_0355

Awwww! Can you take it?!?! Now on to those sapphires!

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment