Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Charles and Ray Eames

I just saw an amazingly inspiring documentary about the 20th century powerhouse design couple, Charles and Ray Eames. Did I say inspiring?! I need a better word – insupradupraspiring.

eamesCharlesRay1

What an incredible duo. From chairs that are now icons of modern design to toys, textiles, corporate exhibition displays, and short films, they were designing and creating it and changing the entire design world in their wake.

eames_elephant eames-house-bird

eames cards

textiletextile2

ibm

The IBM Pavilion at the 1964-65 New York World's Fair covered 54,038 square feet (1.2 acres) in Flushing Meadow, N.Y.

font

They even designed fonts. Don’t you love it?

I remember seeing this short film as a child in school. We were collectively blown away and made the teacher show it to more times. If you haven’t seen it – it is a must.

While one of the few things they didn’t design was jewelry, their esthetic and design sensibility has always inspired and informed mine. In fact many of my best ideas come to me sitting and sketching in my favorite chair of all time.

photo

peace

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little obsessed with Mr. and Mrs. Eames! There are several really good books about their life together that are incredibly inspiring as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann,
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I'd love to know which books you'd recommend if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete