Monday, August 6, 2012

Nice Rack

animal, cute, deer, photography, reindeer

“Deer (and other animals such as elk) shed their antlers every year and then grow a complete new "rack".  This shedding procedure takes two or three weeks to complete, while the regeneration takes the entire summer to conclude - and the cycle begins again.  With the sole exception of reindeer (both male and female), male deer shed their antlers between January and April after the mating season.  By then, antlers are no longer necessary to attract females, or challenge other male competitors.”

I love the elegant and earthy forms of antlers – and I especially love that they are shed annually  so there is no harm done to the animal in acquiring them. I’m in Montana on a rock hunting trip, and here antlers are an integral design element in many and varied ways – antler chandeliers, antler furniture, etc. Several of them will be coming back with me to NYC. I’m looking forward to using them in various ways. Got any good ideas?

antlers

MuleDeer

moose

What are the odds of me finding some neon spotted moose antlers?

[peace%255B4%255D.jpg]

No comments:

Post a Comment